Friday, September 30, 2011

I Refuse to Scramble

There's little more I love for breakfast than over-easy eggs sitting nicely on a piece of whole wheat toast, plenty of salt and pepper - and if I'm in the mood for something a little sweet - just a tiny drizzle of honey or maple syrup over the masterpiece. It's filling, satisfying, and I've started off my day with a little bit of complex carbs and protein. This is usually accompanied with a cup of skim milk and a side of strawberries or cantaloupe. Yeah, I'm not shy about my food in the morning. Truthfully, it helps me feel more satisfied throughout the day so I don't cave and have three plates of dinner later on. But, I digress. Let's go back to the eggs.

It's usually two, cooked over-easy and no other way. I need that yolk to run all over the place. Some folks are afraid of the yolk, but not me. Yes, it's the "fat" part of the egg, but it's also packed with protein and tons of other good stuff. If the fat from 1 or 2 eggs is the majority of the fat I get in my daily diet, I think I'll be okay. More importantly, I think the benefits far outweigh the - whatever the opposite of "benefits" is. Disadvantages, I guess. When I was in the beginning stages of P90X, I followed the nutrition plan exactly. It called for only egg whites, instead of the whole egg for breakfast. I decided to give it a try. However, after a couple days of throwing out egg yolks, I started to feel seriously wasteful - especially because you now had to use 6 eggs instead of 2 in order to reach the same amount. That was the only issue I could ever find with the nutrition plan. I felt it was a tremendous waste to throw out what would end up being hundreds of eggs over a longer period of time, just to save a couple grams of fat that are actually filled with a lot of other nutritious benefits.

Back to the method of cooking. I refuse to scramble my eggs. Not because I don't like them, but because I happen to be a bad scrambler. I overcook or undercook every time. I always have. But, over-easy - well, I'm pretty good at that. At least I was until about a month ago. I've never had a problem until lately. Now I find that I find a way to completely screw up my over-easy eggs every time. It's been seriously disappointing. I've finally decided to chalk it up to pregnancy. I feel like everything I do now is self-sabotaged. Last week I attempted dinner three times in one night. After butchering it not once, but three separate times, Brian called in pizza. Not everything I've ruined lately has been food-related, but I think about food all the time now. I've started to have overwhelming cravings for food. It is ridiculous. All morning I've been thinking about delicious foods we can have for the General Conference brunch that I haven't told Brian we're having yet. Growing up my family always had a huge brunch on General Conference days with food that we normally didn't get to have during the week, like big fruit salads made with more tropical fruits, orange cinnamon rolls, guava juice, etc. I'd like to keep that going. Luckily, I rarely act on my food urges, or else I'd be eating Ben & Jerrys, cinnamon rolls, Chick-fil-a, and fruity pebbles at every meal.

Speaking of pregnancy, which I have been for about the last three posts (sorry), Brian and I got to hear the baby's heartbeat yesterday morning. It was loud and fast - 150 bpm. The doctor said that according to old wives tales, that mean's it's a girl. But, I just think that means the baby's already starting in on the massive anxiety attacks that it will inevitably inherit from both it's mother and it's father. Sorry, little baby, we really didn't leave you with any chance of normalcy.

Also, you will have hazel eyes and do poorly in mathematics.


4 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to do brunch but I never make it happen! That sounds so fun and delicious! I'll be over at 10 :)

    Hey, have you heard about the listeria outbreak with cantaloupe? It's really dangerous. You should look it up and make sure you are careful with cantaloupe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I was also gonna tell you. The first time we hear this baby's heartbeat it was like 160bpm. That's totally normal. You baby does not have anxiety problems! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dafni! I DID hear about the listeria outbreak about 20 minutes after I had consumed a bowl of cantaloupe! Not even joking. I don't know where this particular cantaloupe was shipped from, either. I'm wondering if I should go get screening done as a precaution, considering symptoms may take a month to develop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It definitely can't hurt. And considering how serious it can be, better safe than sorry! Chances are if you just bought it recently it's probably fine, cause they pulled all of the contaminated ones out of stores weeks ago. But I would say go anyway :)

    ReplyDelete