Sunday, October 23, 2011

Baby cake

I'm going to start out by saying something that is unrelated to the rest of my post today: I love my in-laws. Really and truthfully, I can't even imagine having married into a better family. I even claim my grandparents-in-law as my own.

Okay, now onto business. Pregnancy business. I know, I know - how boring of me to blog about my pregnancy - again. But, alas, it cannot be helped. It's kind of my life right now - more or less. If it makes you feel any better, I don't talk about it very often in real life, nor do I even think about it all that much. In fact, I've been telling myself from day 1 to not get excited about this. So, for the last 18 weeks I've just felt sick, tired, and fat without letting myself really believe there is a baby growing inside of me - despite the sonograms.

This week may prove to be different. We find out the sex of this alleged baby on Thursday morning. If all goes well, I may actually take part in all this baby excitement. We haven't even bought anything yet - that's how closed off I have made myself. I just keep expecting the worst. This pregnancy has been totally normal, so I should have no reason to feel so skeptical, but I am obviously just scarred from the previous miscarriage - even though it was only in the first trimester.

Anyway, enough back story. If all goes well Thursday, we plan on revealing the sex of the baby to our families by backing cupcakes with white cake mix. In just one of the cupcakes I will place a blue or pink M&M in the center. All family members will receive said cupcakes and have to take a bite to find out! The person with the M&M cupcake will get to announce what we're having. At least this is how it works in my mind. I'm assuming baking an M&M into a cupcake will work out. And, hopefully the hard candy shell doesn't get totally absorbed by the chocolate of the M&M. I guess we'll find out.

Side note: I feel like my stomach is larger than it should be at 18 weeks. I guess I don't have much to compare it to. Maybe it's because all I want it sugar. And heavily seasoned french fries. Also, sugar. With some french fries. Ice cream, too, which is sugar plus dairy.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks, Marissa! I hope it works out. If I were a boyscout I'd try it out first to be prepared. But - I'm not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm I want cupcakes. And fries. And all food. I hate that I gain so much weight pregnant. It's so unfair to have all these cravings and not be able to eat any of it! Why couldn't I be one of those beanpole girls??

    Also, I'm getting tired of people being shocked when I tell them my due date. 'oh you poor thing! I thought you were gonna say it's tomorrow. You're HUGE!!' One of the 3 conversations I had at church on Sunday. Blah. YES I KNOW I'M HUGE AND FAT. Thank you for reminding me.

    I'm obviously whiney today. Sorry to take it out on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dafni, people say really stupid things sometimes. And, I know this is only my first time, but I'm already starting to realize nobody knows what they're talking about - unless they've gone through exactly the same thing with the same body type. I think you look seriously good! But your comment does remind me of a shirt I saw. It read: "I'm not fat, I'm pregnant...and fat." I really wanted to get it :) But in all seriousness, you really do look gorgeous.

    And, Marissa - you don't have to convince me...I have a feeling I will be posting as soon as we find out tomorrow!!! I just REALLY hope the baby cooperates!

    ReplyDelete